This month’s recipe is one I pulled from my Runner’s World magazine– thanks, Dad! The recipe can be found here.
- I used one cup brother, 1/2 cup water, to cut down on calories
- I used onion salt instead of a real (icky) onion. And I didn’t sautee anything! I just put it in a giant pot & left it cooking on low for 90 mins
- Sprouts was out of black beans, so I used one can black beans (already had at home) and one can white beans (cheapest kind they had!)
- I used a smaller can of “chipotle-style” diced tomatoes, instead of plain diced tomatoes with an additional minced chipotle pepper, because it cut down on steps, was cheaper, and meant less tomatoes. (Not always a huge fan of them.)
- And as I said earlier, I cooked it for about 90 mins, rather than 20, because with soups, I figure longer is always better!
My review– absolutely positively delicious! It is very filling and has incredible flavor. Not spicy, as I expected, but more like some sort of tomato-based soup that you want to really savor. I think it is one of my new favorite recipes! And I’m not going to lie, I think it might just be better than any Amy’s soup I’ve ever tried! (Amy’s are my favorite.)